Well, it’s official: GM is putting its Hummer marque out to pasture. GM had been in serious talks to sell this iconic brand to Sichuan Tengzhong Heavy Industrial Machinery Company, a Chinese company that specializes in manufacturing road construction equipment and heavy-duty trucks. However, Sichuan withdrew its bid because it could not receive the blessings of the Chinese government, which was concerned about the potential environmental and economic impacts of the Hummer.
GM says that they’re still open to new bids, but they’re going to move forward with winding down the operation.
In honor of the fallen marque, we’ve put together a gallery of Hummers in full glory. Requiescat in pace, Hummer.
Holy Swedish meatballs, Bätman. The word on the street is that GM’s Sweden-rooted marque, Saab, is on the verge of being sent to the proverbial scrap yard. Even though the Man of Steel was able to survive the scrap yard in Superman III, Saab doesn’t have the advantage of being born on Krypton—they’re just from Trollhättan.
According to the AP, the struggling auto maker was being courted by Koenigsegg Automotive AB, yet another Swedish auto builder. However, Koenigsegg backed out of the deal, leaving Saab floundering like a herring out of water.
Before Koenigsegg came a courtin’, GM had planned to put Saab out to pasture. Now that Koenigsegg put the engagement ring back into its pocket, GM may finally have to pull the plug on Saab. I guess this means that Kurt Vonnegut’s criticisms of Swedish engineering have finally been vindicated.
Holy smokes do we have a new product payload for you. Christmas time is around the corner, so we thought we should add some products that might make your shopping a little easier this year. Over the last month, we partnered up with Taxor, a manufacturer of men’s watches, women’s watches, and automotive clocks. But what makes these time pieces are extra special because they feature the logo of your mistress de la garage.
- GM Watches for Men – Because you want the world to know that you drive a Corvette.
- Honda Watches for Men – So you can keep your Honda boxers to yourself.
- Nissan Watches for Men – So you can time your car going from 0 to 60 in about 9 seconds flat.
- Dodge Watches for Men – Because strapping a Dodge Hot Wheels on your wrist is unacceptable.
- Ford Watches for Men – Tired of holding your Ford key out in hopes someone asks what you drive? Wear a Ford watch instead.
- Dodge Watches for Women – Unless your special talent is telling time by the location of the sun, you need this watch.
- Ford Watches for Women – Because no outfit is complete without at least one Ford accessory on your wrist.
- GM Watches for Women – To tactfully remind others what kind of fancy car you drive.
- Honda Watches for Women – It’s about more than just punctuality–it’s about having mad style.
- Ford Clocks – Hickory Dickory Dock, tell time with this Ford Clock. C’mon. You knew we had to use it.
- GM Clocks – Better than running out to your car to check the time–now you can tell time the GM way on your wall or desk.
- Honda Clocks – Don’t spend your money on a box. Don’t spend it on a fox. Don’t spend it on a sock. Spend it on a Honda Clock.
- Jeep Clocks – Jeeps beep and clocks tock. Now, Taxor brings you Jeep Clocks–sorry they don’t beep.
And if time isn’t your thing, then we’ve got a few other items that’ll rock your Christmas socks:
- AVS Seamless Ventvisor – Seamless stockings, seamless rain gutters, seamless plots and now—Seamless Ventvisors. Get’em today, they’re Ultra Low-Pro for a look that’s slicker than your grandpa’s comb over.
- Tailgate Cargo Box – No, it’s not a miniature Doug Henning prop; however, the Tailgate Cargo Box does carry all your gear and then magically transform from a cargo carrier into 2 chairs and a table. Works great for camping too!
- Hypertech Max Energy Sport – You may have heard about this, you may have even seen spy photos of it, but the day has almost come; Hypertech is entering the world of sport-compacts! We should have these puppies in stock soon, check back if you want to give your import some extra juice!
Posted in Auto Accessories, Auto Parts, Garage Accessories, Gas Saving Products, Performance Chips, Product Review, Storage Systems
Tagged Auto Anything, AutoAnything, Cars, clocks, Corvette, Dodge, Ford, GM, Honda, HyperTech, Jeep, Suv, tailgate, tailgating, Trucks, watches
There’s no denying that the American auto industry is in trouble. Ford, General Motors and Chrysler are all saying they could run out of operating cash by as soon as the first half of 2009. If they go down, an estimated 3-6 million Americans would lose their jobs over the next several years. These jobs are made up of the 355,000 people directly employed by the big three and also the companies that rely on domestic auto makers for business; dealerships, OEM manufacturers and financing companies would all go down the drain.
There is no doubt that it would be bad for our economy if Ford, Chrysler and General Motors all go bankrupt. The CEO’s of Detroit are in Washington D.C. today asking for another $25 billion dollar loan that they can use to invest in green technologies and to also pay their monthly bills. Although that seems like a sizable amount of money, it would be split evenly between all three companies. Considering that GM’s monthly operating cost is $13 billion, this loan would only keep GM alive for another three weeks!
I’m all for supporting our American economy, it really is in trouble. But did the CEO’s really have to fly in their private company jets to Washington DC ? Analyst Richard Aboulafia of the Teal Group estimates the roundtrip cost at $20,000 for each jet. A first-class roundtrip ticket bought this morning would have cost less than $1,000.
I think we do need to figure out a way to save the American auto industry, but Rick Wagoner (GM), Alan Mulally (Ford) and Bob Nardelli (Chrysler) are not inspiring any confidence with their not-so-thrifty decisions. Congress seems to agree; “There is a delicious irony in seeing private luxury jets flying into Washington, D.C., and people coming off of them with tin cups in their hand, saying that they’re going to be trimming down and streamlining their businesses,” said the Democratic Representative Gary Ackerman of New York.
Is scary to realize that Detroit’s treo hasn’t yet figured out that saving jobs should come before the preservation of their company perks.
Source: ABC News via AutoBlog – Photo by Mark Wilson
Posted in Auto Manufacturers, News Worthy, Stupid Stunts
Tagged Auto, Autos, Bailout, Car, Cars, Chrysler, Congress, Dodge, Ford, General Motors, GM, News, Politics, Truck, Trucks
General Motors has just made the ZR-1 engine available as a crate motor, allowing you to drop it into a wide variety of vehicles. The LS9 is the most advanced and powerful V8 engine to ever leave the GM factory. Here’s a cool video of the LS9 being assembled, tested and packed away into a crate.