The last ten years has brought us some amazing developments in automotive technology. Bugatti brought us the Veyron, one of the fastest and most advanced cars of it’s kind. Subaru and Mitsubishi brought cheap speed to the masses. And Tata made the Nano, the most affordable car in the world.
Looking forward to the next decade, we are going to have affordable cars that have standard features like lane-assist, wireless internet and voice recognition. The possibilities are endless, but before we look to the future, lets take a quick look at the past.
Here are the Top 10 Fastest Police Car’s of the decade.
- Britain’s Caparo T1 RRV Police Pursuit Car – Powered by a 3.5-liter V8, the T1 does 0-62 MPH in under 3.0 seconds and 0-100 MPH in under 5. This is hands down the fastest accelerating cop car ever made. Top speed: 200 MPH.
- Italian Polizia’s Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4 – This was a gift to the Italian Polizia, but unfortunately it was to fast and was wrecked in 2009. But when it was on the beat, the all-wheel-drive system in this Gallardo could propel it to 62 MPH in just 3.7 seconds, and it’s range-topping V8 sings all the way up to an astonishing 202 MPH.
- Italian Polizia’s Brabus-Powered Mercedes CLS – By far the most powerful engine under the hood of any police car, 730 German-engineered ponies are pushed by almost 1,000 ft-lbs of torque. This gets the CLS up and running to 60 MPH in 3.8 seconds. Top Speed: 224 MPH.
- Broomfield Hills Corvette C5 Z06 – Nothing inspires fear in the eyes of a running bandit like a Corvette C5. The all-American V8 under the hood of this Chevy can get it up to 60 MPH in 4 seconds flat… that is, if you don’t end up laying rubber on the pavement. Top Speed: 186 MPH.
- Frevoland Spyker C8 Politie Car – With a European pedigree, the C8 looks and sounds gorgeous… except when you see this one in your rear view mirror. 0-60 happens in 4.5 seconds and it tops out at 185 MPH.
- Hoover County Porsche 911 Cop Car – The Hoover County police department siezed this 2001 Porsche 911 in a drug raid and found 10 kilos of cocaine on board. Rather than put it up for auction, they gave it a second chance and converted it from a drug-running sprinter to a bad-guy chasing cop car. The 3.4-liter flat six propels this 911 to 60 MPH in 4.6 seconds, plenty fast to catch most criminals. Top Speed: 174 MPH.
- Broomfield Hills Cadillac XLR-V Cop Car – Is there even enough crime in Broomfield Hills, MI to justify having two high-end pursuit vehicles? But I digress… the brute strength of this 443 horsepower Caddy get’s it up and running to 60 MPH in just 4.6 seconds. Top Speed: Actual is Unknown, Limited to 155 MPH.
- Colorado State Patrol’s Subaru 2004 WRX STi – Although this car was never actually used as an officers patrol car, it was recruited into the ranks of the CSP for the “Take it to the Track” program, which was a push to discourage street racing. Either way, this 4-seat 4-banger rips your face off as it’s all-wheel-drive hits 60 MPH in 4.7 seconds, while the 6-speed transmission takes your abuse all the way up to 167 MPH.
- South Yorkshire’s Mitsubishi Evo VIII, IX & X – I fought the law and the, law won… this is the story of South Yorkshire’s police department. Let’s face it, this trio of Evo beats the three Musketeers any day. Assuming these are the FQ-300 models, 0-60 happens, on average, at about 5 seconds flat. Top Speed: 164 MPH for the Evo VIII and IX. Evo X is limited to 155 MPH.
- Broward County’s Dodge Challeger R/T – This blast from the past will rush you to 60 MPH in 5.5 seconds and if they removed the governor, will eventually tops out at 150 MPH.
Do you think we missed one? Let us know by emailing us at AutoAnythingBlog@Gmail.com. If we can verify your entry, we’ll update the list.