The snow is melting, the cold weather subsiding and it’s starting to get nice outside again…what does all that mean? Spring is just around the corner! So if you’re a bike enthusiast of any sort, it’s about time you got it out of the garage, dusted it off and check the tire pressure before hitting the mountain, trail or road.
Over the last six months, we’ve been adding the hottest bike rack products from Thule and Yakima, from single bike roof mount racks to the very popular 4 bike hitch rack setups, so I thought it would be worth giving them a small shout out in this weeks AutoAnything update.
Roof Mount Bike Racks – To mount up a bike to your roof, you’ll need a base rack system that provides the proper mounting surface for the bike rack. This usually includes rack feet/towers and a pair of crossbars. If you’ve got a set of factory roof rails already, you may only need a set of cross bars to complete your base rack system. Either way, make sure you have the proper base rack setup to mount the following bike racks.
- Yakima Raptor – This is Yakima’s entry-level upright bike rack. Upright means you don’t have to take any wheels off, so you can get right to business without turning any wrenches. Make of sturdy steel, utilizing ratcheting straps to secure the wheels, this bike rack offers solid value for your buck.
- Yakima King Cobra – If you want the King of roof mount bike racks, look no further than the this Cobra. It’s an upright mount rack, so there’s no need to fuss around removing your front wheel before loading it up. This rack secures your bike by clamping down on the front wheel, making it easy to load and great for stabilizing bikes with 20″-29″ tires. Add a set of SKS locks and you’ve got the whole package; style, security and function.
- Yakima Steelhead – This fork-mount bike rack is the king of roof mount fork-racks. It’s easy to load up your gear, upgradable security with SKS locks and it’ll glide through the air like a fish through water. The only catch to that it strictly mounts to Yakima’s round crossbars, so if you already have a base rack system that isn’t made by Yakima, you’ll want to look at the Raptor or King Cobra bike racks.
Hitch Mount Bike Racks – If you don’t want to mount up your bikes on your roof, then the next best option is a hitch bike rack. All you need is a trailer hitch with a 2″ (or a 1-1/4″) receiver tube and your set.
- Thule Ridgeline – 4: The number of horseman in the apocalypse. Also, the number of bikes held by the Thule Ridgeline Hitch Rack (a mere coincidence…we think). This rack has some cool things to offer, like an integrated locking system and anti-sway cage that keeps your bikes from banging into each other.
- Thule Parkway – Tow up to 4 bikes and still access your cargo with this super sturdy hitch bike rack. It’s got a fold down design that makes it easy to move stuff and it works with both 2″ and 1-1/4″ receiver tubes!
- Thule Roadway – Do you and a buddy go biking together, or do you have a road warrior crew that never misses out on pounding the pavement? Either way, Thule’s Roadway hitch bike rack will haul your bikes with ease. Works with 2″ and 1-1/4″ receiver tubes and is available in three flavors; 2 bike, 4 bike and 5 bike carrier models.
- Thule T2 – It doesn’t get any slicker than loading up your Cannondale on the Thule T2. The T2 has adjustable locking points, so it can securely clamp down on any bike, regardless of frame shape. It’s also expandable, holding up to four bikes on a single hitch.
- Yakima BigHorn – The Bighorn offers big value at a low price. Switchblade clamps keep your bike from shifting around and a tilt-forward lever lets you get access your cargo area with out unmounting the bike rack.
- Yakima DoubleDown – Like the Bighorn, the DoubleDown uses switchblade clamps to secure your bikes. The big difference here is the extra forward tilt that gives you better access to your cargo area and it comes in 2-, 4- and 5-bike models.
- Yakima SwingDaddy – The creme de la creme of hitch mount bike racks. Tow up to 4 bikes where ever you go and when you need access to your trunk or hatch, swing this hitch bike rack out of the way and have total access to your cargo area. This completely emlininates bike sway too, so you don’t have to worry about dinging vehicle or scratching your bikes paint job.
And there you have it. Whether you’re a Yakima Bike Vigilante or the casual cruiser, we’ve got a rack that will carry your gear comfortably and safely.
Yakima Raptor Bike Rack
Yakima King Cobra Hitch Bike Rack
Yakima Steelhead Bike Rack
Thule Ridgeline 4 Bike Hitch Rack
Thule Parkway Hitch Bike Rack
Thule Roadway Hitch Bike Rack
Thule T2 Hitch Bike Rack
Yakima BigHorn Hitch Bike Rack
Yakima DoubleDown Hitch Bike Rack
Yakima SwingDaddy Hitch Bike Rack
Posted in Auto Accessories, Bike Racks, Product Review, Roof Racks
Tagged Auto Anything, AutoAnything, Bike, Bike Rack, Bike Racks, Bikes, Roof Rack, roof racks, thule, Yakima
Riding the bull at the local bar is not a bad way to spend $5, but what about $5,000? I guess it depends on the bull you’re riding, and if it’s a Gallardo LP 560-4 or a Murcielago LP 640, it’s probably a pretty good deal. This is what the head honchos in Italy thought when they recently announced the training dates for the new Lamborghini Academy. For five grand, you get full accommodations and two days on the track at the Vallelunga or Adria Raceway in Italy. You’ll even get a video highlighting your accomplishments at graduation.
They offer three packages: the Track Academy, the Advance Academy and the Winter Academy. Each option will let you get behind the wheel of a Lambo and be instructed how to under-steer, over-steer, drift and pick your line. The Winter Academy looks particularly fun; nothing like trying to control 640 horsepower in the snow. :)
Press release after the jump.
Posted in Auto Manufacturers, Lamborghini, News Worthy, Racing, Safe Driving, Sports Cars, Supercars
Tagged Driving, Education, Gallardo, Lambo, Lamborghini, Murcielago, Race, Racing, School
This weeks WOTW is dedicated to Sebastien Loeb, the winner of Rally Norway 2009 (and most World Rallies over the last 5 years). He is undoubtedly one of the worlds greatest drivers, even Formula One is interested in picking him up. He did pretty darn good too; 82 laps in Red Bulls F1 car is no easy feat. The G-Force’s alone would snap an average persons neck after 15-20 laps. Too bad it is so late in his career, otherwise he could have a real shot at taking on the worlds premier form of racing.
Either way, there is no denying his dominance in the world of Rally. He has won the Drivers Championship for the last 5 years, pitting Citroen at the top of the Manufacturers Challenge as well. So take this info into consideration when voting in our latest poll. Enjoy the pix after the jump, happy Friday!
Posted in Auto Manufacturers, Photos, Racing, Rally, Wallpapers
Tagged Auto, Autos, Car, Cars, Rally, Sebastien Loeb, World Rally, WRC
The Zonda R is Pagani’s new hot racer. It’s really a track car, so it should be expected that this thing has functional styling and a mean motor, but I never would have thought that it sounded as goooood as this. The track that the Zonda is running on, the Autodromo Nazionale Monza, is located near Monza, Italy, just north of Milan. Make sure you’re in a place where you can listen to this video at some decent volume, you won’t be disappointed. :)
Posted in New Cars, News Worthy, Racing, Supercars, Videos
Tagged Auto, Autos, Cars, Pagani, Pagani Zonda R, Racing, Super Car, Super Cars, Track, Zonda, Zonda R
Scruit, a LegacyGT forum member, has invested quite a bit of time and money into his Subie, including 4 cameras with a DVR in the boot. He recently had to take his GT into a body shop after being involved in a minor fender bender. After he got it back from the dealership, he reviewed the recording of what had happened. While they porters didn’t do anything too outrageous, they did take it up to red line several times and it looks like they were going to do a 4-wheel drift around a corner, but were forced to slow down because of another car in front of them. More than a few miles were added to the odometer and bets are, they burnt up a bit of his clutch… not cool!
This is why I don’t like letting other people drive my car. It’s my car and I treat it right. I know only a few people who will treat it with the same amount of love that I do. This video only re-enforces my hesitation to hand over my keys to valets, mechanics, dealerships, and the like. You can follow the whole discussion at the Legacy GT forum thread, but make sure to check out the video before you go.
Posted in News Worthy, Racing, Sports Cars, Videos
Tagged Abuse, Busted, Dealerships, Joy Riding, Legacy, Legacy GT, Subaru, Subaru Legacy, Subaru Legacy GT
It’s got a face that only a mother could love, but boy does it get good range on a full tank of gas. The secret to this Civic’s green house success is in it’s aerodynamics. You may remember from a few years ago, Infinity advertised their G35 as having a .28 co-efficient of drag, the lowest of any sports car in it’s class. The current Toyota Prius has a coefficient of drag measuring .25, which undoubtedly helps it achieve 48 miles per gallon on the freeway. So other than it’s wedge nose and space-age wheel covers, what does this funky beast have in the way of drag? A measly .17 CD. Continue reading
Posted in Cool Vehicles, Economy Cars, News Worthy, Personal Projects, Safe Driving, Sci-Fi
Tagged Auto, Autos, Civic, Cool, Economy Car, Honda, Honda Civic, Hyper Miling, Invention, MPG, Wow
Ford Active Park Assist
It all started with BMW, who developed the technology to have a car park itself in your garage. But that wasn’t practical enough for Toyota, who had been developing parallel parking technology. While it does “work”, many journalists have said the system is complicated to use and needs more refinement before being released to the world.
Most other auto manufacturers have been hush-hush about this technology, but Ford has decided to enter the ring with their own parallel parking system. and it looks like they’ve gotten it right. Despite the extremely larger area provided in this video, the system appears to be very simple to use.
When you’re ready to park, you hit the Park button on the center console and drive forward until you find a spot that looks like it’ll work. The parking system will ding if it thinks the spot is acceptable (cutoff is vehicle length + 20%). All you need to do then is pull forward until its happy, put the transmission into reverse and let the system take care of the rest. Pretty neat, huh? Hit the jump to see the vid.
Posted in Auto Manufacturers, Cool Vehicles, News Worthy, Safe Driving, Videos
Tagged Auto Technology, Automotive Technology, Autos, Cars, Cool, Ford, Park, Parking, Technology
AutoAnything is committed to quality, which is why we carry big name brands that devote a lot of their time to Research and Development. It’s not often that our partners get nationally recognized for all their hard work, but when it does happen, you gotta give credit where credit is due.
The Travel channels television show, Worlds Greatest, did a feature on DiabloSport. After looking at their operations, the ingenuity of their products & their upcoming DiabloSport Trinity programmer, the show’s host dubbed them the Worlds Greatest Automotive Performance Company. Here the clip from the broadcast:
Posted in News Worthy, Performance Chips, Product Review, Tuners, TV Shows, Videos
Tagged Autos, Cars, Chevy, Diablo Sport, DiabloSport, DiabloSport Trinity, Dodge, Ford, performance chips, Performance Parts, Power Programmer, Trucks
British humor can often be dry, but some of the funniest shows of all time have originated from across the pond; Benny Hill, Monty Python, Three’s Company… heck even The Office got it’s start over there.
Top Gear is currently my favorite show on teh BBC. Clarkson, Hammond and May have excellent chemistry on set, but it is their writers that make the show truly great. Thankfully, they do more than just write commentary for the show. Here’s a shout of the tag found on an official Top Gear shirt.
Posted in Blog Friends, News Worthy, Photos, TV Shows
Tagged Autos, Cars, Clothing, Funny, Humor, Humour, James May, Jeremy Clarkson, Jokes, Richard Hammond, Shirts, Top Gear, TV
This is the latest from Pagani. It’s been in development for two years. It is both longer and wider than its predecessor, yet thanks to its carbon-monocoque body, it weighs almost 300 pounds less. It’s also more powerful than the F; using a Mercedes-Benz sourced 6-liter V12 engine, Pagani says the R has 750 horses at its disposal, which is more that 150 more horsepower than the F.
This is a recipe for pure insanity! The Zonda F can run the ‘Ring in 7:27, one of the fastest times ever recorded by a road car. Although that may be the catch; in the Zonda F, you could take it out on the street and pick up some groceries if you had to. The R, on the other hand, is anything but street legal. It is a race-bred machine. So if you ever see 1 of the 10 that Pagani is making, it’s likely to be in a garage, museum, on the track, or according to the press release, in someone’s living room.
Enjoy the pics, the press release is after the jump.
Edit: Updated with bigger, better pics!
Posted in Auto Manufacturers, New Cars, News Worthy, Nurburgring, Photos, Wallpapers
Tagged Auto, Auto News, Autos, Hyper Car, Pagani, Pagani Zonda, Super Car, Super Cars, Wallpaper
In an attempt to look Green, Oregon Governor Theodore Kulongoski is pushing to prohibit the sale of aftermarket auto parts when there are other parts available that will “decrease greenhouse gas emissions from motor vehicles”. Apparently this bill is focused on limiting consumer choices of tires, which makes little to no sense. The primary target is the high performance lines which, due to their sticky nature, have a higher rolling resistance to the road than all-season and economy rubbers.The slight difference in roll-resistance can often create a loss of 1/4 MPG.
Maybe the Governor is trying to think big, but letting legislatures choose what kind of tires we drive on is probably not the best idea; could you imagine driving a Corvette on a set of cheap all-seasons that don’t offer the type of dry traction a Corvette needs to keep from spinning it’s tires?
Posted in Auto Manufacturers, Economy Cars, News Worthy, Safe Driving, SEMA, Sports Cars
Tagged Aftermarket, Fuel Economy, Legislation, MPG, News, Oregon, Oregon News, Politics
January has come and gone, the Steelers just barely beat out the Card’s in the Superbowl and Punxsutawney Phil gets to take another 6 weeks of PTO. As exciting as all that has been, we’ve got some breaking news of our own that hasn’t hit the papers yet.
We’ve added two new products, a cold air intake and a beefy throttle body spacer, both from Street & Performance Electronics. We also setup some fantastic promos with our vendors. They’re so good, in fact, that even our little groundhog friend will be sorry he hibernated through the deals. :)
New Products from Street & Performance Electronics
- Helix Power Tower Plus Throttle Body Spacer – The Helix Power Tower Plus gives incoming air the perfect swirly, purported to offer up to an extra 22 HP if you gun it or an extra 4 MPG if you feather it. This bolt-on spacer is pretty easy to install, taking about 45 minutes for most vehicles.
- AirMax Spiral Flow Air Intake – Here again, Street & Performance puts to work the idea that spinning air swirls some extra horsepower out of the engine. This time, it’s a rifled sleeve inside the intake tube that starts the spin and gets all that extra air in line to burn. Good for extra power, torque and maybe even an MPG or two, this spiral flow intake comes with a high flow washable air filter and a steel heat shield for maximum engine gains. The whole kit comes powder coated for a flawless finish.
Promotions and Rebates
If you thought new products were the only thing we’ve been working on, then you should be stoked to know that we’ve lined up some $25 rebates on a few AFE products and some special promos with Truxedo, BAK, Extang, Undercover, Borla and MBRP. Here’s the deal:
AFE – Get a $25 cash card (via AFE mail-in-rebate) on AFE’s Stage 2 intake, the Blade Runner intake manifold, the Mach Force XP & Large Bore HD exhaust systems. The purchase must be made between 2/1/09 and 4/30/09, click the banner for complete details.
- AFE Stage 2 Air Intake – More than just an air filter and plenum, the stage 2 kit replaces your entire air intake tract, improving flow dynamics by providing a more laminar air flow straight into the manifold.
- AFE Blade Runner – Perfectly complement your air intake with the Blade Runner intake manifold. Larger than stock and constructed from high quality materials, AFE’s Blade Runner intake manifold will flow more air into your engine, letting it breathe easier and make more power.
- AFE Exhaust – Available in two flavors:
- The AFE Large Bore HD Exhaust is a great way to beef up your exhaust tone. The Large Bore HD uses oversized aluminized tubing to free up extra horsepower and give your engine a nice low end grunt. Available in both cat back and turboback styles.
- AFE Mach Force XP Exhaust – For maximum power gains, look no further than the Mach Force XP from AFE. Up to 5″ stainless steel piping is used on this monster exhaust, thereby minimizing back pressure and allowing your turbo to spool faster and make more boost. Turboback or catback, it’s your choice, but no matter what you choose, you won’t be disappointed by the power gains.
We’ve also worked out a few truck tonneau cover and exhaust promos. All of these promotions are valid through 2/28/09. Here’s the quick and dirty break down, click the links if you want to get all the details.
– Free Tailgate seal with the purchase of any Truxedo Tonneau.
– Free MaxSeal tailgate seal with the purchase of a Trifecta, BlackMax, Tuff Tonneau III , RT Tonneau or Revolution tonneau cover.
- BAK RollBAK Tonneau Cover – Free Door Sill Protector with the purchase of a BAK RollBAK tonneau cover
- Lund Tonneau – Purchase any Lund Genesis tonneau cover and get a free MaxSeal Tailgate seal.
– Free MBRP Exhaust Tip with the purhase of an MBRP 4″ Diesel Exhaust System.
– Free Borla Hat with the purchase of any Borla exhaust system or header kit.
That’s what I’ve got for you this week, but keep an eye on the blog to stay in the loop, we’ll have even more for you next week.
UPDATE: EDGE PERFORMANCE CHIPS PROMO
We’ve taken an additional 10% off the Edge Evolution, Edge Mileage and Edge Juice programmers. Not only that, but we’ll overnight ship your order for FREE and throw in a Edge sweatshirt at no additional cost. This promotion just started today and ends 3/5/09, so if you’ve been wanting an Edge power programmer, don’t miss out on this deal because it’s the best you’ll find, on or off the net.
Posted in Air Intake Systems, Auto Accessories, Auto Parts, Exhaust Systems, Product Review, Tonneau Covers
Tagged Air Intake Systems, Auto Anything, Auto Parts, AutoAnything, cold air intake, Edge, Edge evolution, hard tonneau covers, Intake Manifold, pickup truck bed covers, throttle body spacers, Truck Bed Cover